L.I.V.E. (Live In Victory and Excel) is a tailored lifestyle program that directly responds to behavior changes and healthy lifestyles. The long-term goal of the program is to develop an evidence-based healthy lifestyle intervention that can be translated in various community settings. This program is unique in that it provides physical activity and healthy eating interventions tailored to the cultural identity, specific needs, and preferential interests of communities.
L.I.V.E. includes Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) classes. The classes are directed towards persons with diabetes, and their relatives who need information on self-care. The classes are designed based on participatory education methodology and utilize principles of adult education and group work techniques that promote learning as well as a progression towards a healthy lifestyle. Two-hour sessions will be held weekly for 6 weeks. There is NO COST to participate. FREE MATERIALS such as diabetes education textbooks will be given to participants.
Participants will make weekly action plans, share experiences, and help each other solve problems they encounter in creating and carrying out their self-management program. The goals are:
- To improve and maintain the quality of life of persons with diabetes;
- To prevent complications and incapacities;
- To improve eating habits and maintain adequate nutrition;
- To increase physical activity and develop self-care skills.
The curriculum is based on national medical care and self-care education guidelines and subjects covered include:
- Week 1: Understanding the human body,
- Week 2: Understanding risk factors for diabetes
- Week 3: Diabetes Complications
- Week 4: Monitoring your body and techniques to deal with the symptoms;
- Week 5: Controlling diabetes through nutrition – healthy eating;
- Week 6: Healthy eating Plus, learning about medications, medical care, appropriate use of medication and working more effectively with healthcare provider.